Choosing, preparing, storing, compounding, and distributing medications, as well as counseling patients, doctors, nurses, and other healthcare workers on how to use them safely, effectively, and efficiently, are all part of our hospital pharmacy service. An integral aspect of patient care at our hospital, it forms one of the specialist areas that we are proud of.
The Hospital Pharmacy works to consistently uphold and enhance patient pharmaceutical care and medication management to the highest standards possible in a hospital setting as well as within the region that we serve.
The roles of our pharmacists include:
- Participating in the selection, delivery, prescription, administration, and review of all medications used in the hospital, which aims to maximize the role that medications play in achieving informed and desired outcomes;
- Enhancing the safety and quality of all medicine-related processes affecting patients of the hospital to ensure the 7 “rights” are respected: right patient, right dose, right route, right time, a right drug with the right information and documentation.
What To Expect
Simply put, our pharmacists and dispensers are licensed healthcare professionals with the clinical expertise to provide you with the assistance you require. They can evaluate your minor illness and suggest the best course of action, whether it’s an over-the-counter medication, a few days of rest, or whether you need a doctor.
Our pharmacy is open on weekends and late into the evening.
These are some things that you should expect at Gulu hospital’s pharmacy.
- Pharmacists can answer your questions on prescription and over-the-counter medicines. Our pharmacies provide the following services:
- dispensing of prescriptions made by doctors and other clinicians
- access to the repeat prescription service
- an emergency supply of medicine (subject to the decision of the doctors)
- offering non-prescription medicines like paracetamol
- disposal of unwanted or out-of-date medicines
- advice on treating minor health concerns and healthy living